- This event has passed.
Friday 24th March 2017
48 hour Film Challenge
Calling all film-makers!
As part of the West Norwood Free Film Festival, we will also be hosting a 48 Hour Film Challenge (WNFFF48), open to anyone interested in film-making.
Launching on the eve of the festival, at our sponsors Bon Velo, Norwood – entrants will be asked to write, shoot and edit a short film (max 3 mins in length) within 48 hours.
Registration is open 4-6pm on Friday 24th at Bon Velo, and entries must be submitted on Sunday at Bon Velo no later than 6pm. For anyone unable to make the 4-6pm registration slot at Bon Velo, late registration will also be available in Knowles of Norwood (opposite Bon Velo) between 6 and 7.30pm. Wherever you register, your 48 hour countdown will start from the time your team completes registration and all films must be returned to us within 48 hours to be included in the competition.
As part of the criteria, each team will be given a line of famous film dialogue, a prop as well as a West Norwood location to include in their film.
The shortlisted entries will then be screened at the 48 hour Film Festival Competition Event on Saturday 1st April, held at the Portico Gallery. – please see separate event. Winning entries will be judged by a panel of experts from the BFI and Picturehouse Cinemas in the following categories:
- Under 16
- Over 16
- Overall winner
The overall winner will be screened as part of the West Norwood Picturehouse opening celebrations.
There will also be a year’s free Picturehouse Membership Plus passes for the winners of each 3 categories.
Like us on Facebook/Twitter for further updates on WNFFF48!
Please see below for the full rules on the competition:
THE FULL RULES:
1. One member of the participating team must sign our Participant’s
Agreement on the night for them to be eligible for the final competition. The signed form should be enclosed with the finished film.
2. All teams MUST have a team name, which WNFFF48 uses for identification.
3. There is no fee or charge for entering the Challenge and ALL costs for production and submission must be born by the Team, nor is there a fee paid for entering.
4. The Challenge is to write, shoot and edit a short film in 48 hours based on the criteria presented to the teams at the briefing.
5. All teams will be given a line of famous film dialogue, a prop and a West Norwood location. All 3 elements have to appear in the finished film.
6. The 48 hours begins on Friday 24th March, please arrive between 4 and 6pm at Bon Velo, 495 Norwood Road or 6-7.30pm at Knowles of Norwood. All the creative work must take part in that time period. The only pre-production permissible is the organising of cast and crew (the Team) and securing equipment. Bear in mind that there are laws and regulations regarding filming in public locations and places that might be considered public. WNFFF48 will take out a blanket agreement with Lambeth to cover the event. Please be respectful of the people around you during filming. Don’t block pathways or rights of way and keep disturbance to a minimum.
7. No stock footage or footage shot or created at another time should be used. Animation and special effects are permitted, but must be created during the 48 hour time period. Still photographs are permitted, provided that the team has the rights to them.
8. Music used should be original and, where possible, created specifically for the movie during the challenge. No commercial music is allowed in the film.
9. Overall content of the movie, beyond that specified at the Launch, is at the discretion of the participating teams. The organisers reserve the right to not screen any film that can be considered pornographic, or that depicts hardcore or graphic sex, or any material that would attract an 18 certificate.
10. The finished film must be a maximum of three (3) minutes. Credits at the beginning and end of each film should total no more than 30 seconds and make up part of the overall running time.
11. The film is to be delivered on DVD or USB stick to either Bon Velo (4-6pm) or Knowles of Norwood (6-7.30pm) on Sunday 26th March. Each team’s film must be submitted within 48 hours of your team’s original registration time.
12. The start of the film MUST have:
I. 5 seconds of black
II. Title card with: team name, LOCATION/DIALOGUE that you were given
III. 2 seconds of black.
13. The film can be shot on any media or in any format but the
finished film has to be delivered in the formats specified above.
14. Each entry has to be accompanied by the signed Participant’s
Agreement form. Films that arrive after the cut-off time will not be eligible for the competition.
15. The judges’ decision is final.
16. There will be one winner for Under 16, one for Over 16
one for Family and one overall winner.
17. By submitting your film to The West Norwood Free Film Festival 48 Hour Film Challenge (WNFFF 48) you give permission for the film to be hosted on the WNFFF 48 Vimeo site and also to be shown during the festival.